Monday, October 11, 2021

Steampunk Skeletons

Hello Everyone!

Just popped in to share a project using 2 of my favorite group's products, Retro Cafe Art Gallery and Finnabair, for a ghastly little frame. 


It was really fun to drag out the resin pieces I made up this summer. I used the Fancy Ornate Frame Kit from Retro Cafe Art and base coated it with white gesso. Then I painted the front of the back section with different red metallique paints and dusted with gold. I added some crackle stamping to the edges later.

Here I think instead of a white back for the inside of the frame, a color or black would've been better. Who knows. I always second guess myself after it's all done and photographed. It's what I do.


The center 4 pieces I painted with Ancient Coin metallique paint, stenciled with the Fire Ruby Icing Paste and Book of Numbers stencil, added some more crackle stamping, and glued it together. 


The front opening of the frame is more complicated. First I glued everything on except the 2 bird skulls. In hindsight it would have been easier to do the large skull after all the other layers.


  Everything is base coated with black gesso. The large skull has Metallic Flakes and paints. The Bird Skeletons are painted with various reds and golds. The large Bat Wings are dusted with Brass Hardware and Mermaid Teal. And the gears and background of the frame have layers and layers of Metallique paints, crackle paste, and Liquid Acrylics. 


I added black micro beads and 3 small black bats as filler and just because. It's finally done. At first I thought I'd hang it on the wall, but now I just like looking at it on my desk where I pay the bills. I think it seems appropriate there. 


This is a side view of the frame with the stenciling. You can also see more of the liquid acrylics and their bright colors.


It's not exactly how most people would've used this frame, but if you know me, I like to dabble in the unconventional. 


As always, I'm here if you have any thoughts or questions. Stay safe. Be well. Hugs to you all.

Linda

Products Used:
Finnabair - Heavy Body Gel
Finnabair - Soft Gloss Gel
Finnabair - Metallique Paints- Royal Red, Brass Hardware, Red Wine, Mermaid Teal, Ancient Coin
Finnabair - Liquid Acrylics - Umber, Tiger Orange, Violet, Carmine
Finnabair - Micro Beads/Black
Finnabair - Gilders Glue
Finnabair - Metallic Flakes - Copper, Gold
Finnabair - Stencil - Book of Numbers
Finnabair - Icing Paste - Fire Ruby


6 comments:

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

The entire piece is outstanding! But I love your resin work and color choices most! So many cool "rusty" colors that work so beautifully together!

Linda M. Cain said...

Thanks so much Kristin 🧡

Tee said...

Beautiful layering and textures!!

Linda M. Cain said...

Thanks so much Tee. 🧡

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

I need to share this one again. SO GOOD!

Linda M Cain said...

It’s a fun piece. Be my guest!