Thursday, March 11, 2021

Steampunk Journey Canvas

I've been honored to be asked to join the Mitform Castings Toolbox group. If you're not familiar with these great products, you're in for a real treat. They're gorgeous galvanized brass castings made in Poland and used all over the world by artists. We've partnered together with Retro Cafe Art Gallery to share some works using products found there. I'll link to that online store for your convenience, but know they are found many other places around the globe.

This is my 8x8 wooden canvas piece. I love working on wooden substrates as well as masonite. I used a lot of Finnabair products (all these wonderful art elements work so well together) to bring about a Steampunk creation. I hope you enjoy.


This shows the frame, hot air balloon, clock hand, and valve by Mitform.  I used lots of chipboard gears from RCAG decorated with Finnabair's rust pastes and paints. I also covered a couple of gears with the new metallic flakes for some shine. Finnabair's Metallique paints and rust pastes work perfectly on the 
Mitform pieces. 

Micro beads and glass glitter are added to fill in spaces.  The Lady Vagabond image is colored with Tombow markers for a bit more vibrance. 


This is the base before I added all the goodies. It starts with a layer of tissue paper. Next comes the white crackle texture paste and liquid acrylics. I needed to lighten up the center so I added some buff fresco paint and stamped images to break it up.


These are my steampunk chipboard gears with black gesso and some with my favorite colors of rust pastes and paints. They were really fun to create. 


This is a "laying it out"phase of my creative process. The hardest step for me to take is the initiative to start gluing down everything. I am not a spontaneous creator by any means. It takes me forever to make up my mind.....hence, I don't create a ton of things. But, I still like to stay in the game. 


This is a closeup shot of the amazing hot air balloon. The detail in these pieces is really amazing. You can paint them, or just leave them as is. I like to leave some parts unpainted just to show how great they are.

I hope you enjoyed my Journey here. I will be back with more projects from my favorite companies. Check out the links below and have some creative fun.

Be Well. Stay Safe. 

Your Friend in ART,

Linda

Products Used:
Finnabair Art Extravagance - Texture Paste White Crackle, Rust Pastes
Finnabair Art Ingredients - Gilding Glue, Metallic Flakes Steampunk
Finnabair Art Ingredients -  Micro Beads Black and Copper, Glass Glitter Copper
Finnabair Art Alchemy Metalliques-Rusty Red, Mermaid Teal, Flame
Finnabair Art Alchemy Liquid Acrylics - Prussian Blue, Tiger Orange, Umber, Crimson
Finnabair Tissue Paper - Celestial Music
Finnabair Stencils - Vintage Wall Paper
Wood Canvas 8x8 from Blick's

2 comments:

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

Absolutely OUTSTANDING project full of so much Mitform goodness and Linda Cain style. Amazing job!

Linda M. Cain said...

Thanks so much Kristin