Monday, October 21, 2013

3 ways to Make Watercolor Paper Leaves

 I started out as a Watercolor Artist. I loved learning to create layers of glazes.
 
But when I found stamping and inks....I was hooked.
 
This is a tutorial using 3 different ways to use the new Watercolor Paper from Ranger. I hope you find at least one way you like.
 
I loved them all. 
 
 
 This is how I added the 3 different leaves to votive candles I found on vacation.
 
  
I start by stamping the Maple leaf from Tim Holtz Autumn Blueprint set onto the smooth side of the paper with Jet Black Archival Ink. Then I colored in with Distress Pens starting with Ripe Persimmon
 

 Next I sprayed the paper lightly with water and started adding other colors...such as Fired Brick, Rusty Hinge and Tea Dye. The water lets them blend.


I kept adding color and dried with a heat tool, then cut out the leaf when I liked the colors. I added a dotted background stamp with Walnut Stain Distress Ink.


This is like an embossing ink, so you can add Gold UTEE to emboss. The gold shows up well on the Redish Orange leaf. Some of the spots did not take the UTEE and remain just dots...that's perfect!
 
The Old Paper Distress Marker adds some shadow.

 
Last I added Vintage Photo Distress Marker to the edges of the leaf.
 
One down - two to go!
 
 
This Oak Leaf was stamped onto the Rough side of the paper with Black Soot Distress Ink and embossed with Super Fine Black Embossing Powder.


Then the easy part.....using 3 colors of Distress Stains, Ripe Persimmon, Fired Brick and Wild Honey....I swiped them across the leaf.
 
 
 I added shadows and accents with the Pumice Stone Distress Marker.
 



Cut it out leaving a slight border, then edge with the Vintage Photo Marker.
 
 Stamp with the dotted background and Iced Spruce Distress Ink......then add Bronze UTEE. Heat the embossing powder and see the wonderful effects.

 
This is the result of the 2nd leaf. Pretty cool! See how some dots have UTEE and some don't.
 



Now the last one is stamped and embossed like leaf #2. Then I added Dylusions sprays...Lemon Zest, Squeezed Orange, Pure Sunshine, and Fresh Lime. 
 
 
This wasn't enough saturated color for me, so I started adding Distress Markers...Mowed Grass and Ripe Persimmon. Next I lightly spray the paper with water.
 
 
Then I add Mowed Grass Distress Ink to my craft sheet and add more color with a brush.
 
 
Cut out the leaf and add the Vintage Photo Distress Marker. Stamp with the background stamp and Walnut Distress Ink.
 
Add the Gold UTEE and heat emboss.


 
Here are your 3 different leaves!


I found 3 gorgeous votive candles when I was on vacation with silver mirror paint inside. They have a real iridescent quality to them. I'll use the battery candles in these holders.
 
Add a piece of Tissue Tape around the middle of each holder.
 
Then take 3 Vintage Newspaper Words and layer them onto black Chipboard. Wind gold and copper wire around a pen to create 3 accents.

Use black foam squares to add the leaves and words to the votive.
 

 I used Mini Pumpkins to lay out on my coffee table.
 

 The wire is glued in between 2 small foam squares to keep it steady.
 
 
The UTEE is like the little spots I found on the millions of Oak Leaves that we had in our yard when I was a kid.
 
Leaves always remind me of my home as a child. I like the way these turned out!
 
Click on the links to Inspiration Emporium and Retro Cafe Art Gallery for your supplies and accessories.
 
Linda

21 comments:

manamu said...

Great!! It serves as a reference.

chuewanita said...

Ooooo... this is going to be a fun one to try! Thanks for sharing Linda!!

AKA: Lisa:)

Anonymous said...

These are just fantastic Linda. Thanks for the tutorial. xox

SusanK said...

I could use about a gazillion of these glued to my trees in the front yard! They are gorgeous!

sam21ski said...

These look great Linda xxx

Marijane said...

Gorgeous leaves and I love the votive candleholders. Lovely colors, all!!!

Rea' said...

Absolutely gorgeous !!

Lisa H said...

Beautiful! I love the touches of metallic UTEE.

Carol Q said...

fabulous colours, so warm and cosy and autumnal Linda.

Kathy Eddy said...


these are just beautiful Linda! I love the great fall colors and you captured it wonderfully.

Createology said...

Stunning watercolor leaves. Thank you for sharing your technique. Beautiful finished votive's. Falling into Autumn Bliss...

Vic said...

Wow, I love each one. The UTEE is the perfect touch. Thanks for sharing the techniques.

Annette Green said...

Wonderful ideas Linda. Always so inspiring. These leaves looked difficult at first, but are SO easy. Thank you! Gotta get me some Bronze Utee now.

Wendy said...

Wow, these leaves are so beautiful!! Thank you so much for the tutorial, I will try these techniques out... xx

Bsavagehere said...

I have got to try this! I've never used UTEE but I'm going shopping now!

Cocofolies said...

Wonderful leaves, and thank you for the details !! Coco x

Anonymous said...

Fabulous, what a webpage it is! This website presents useful facts to us, keep it up.



Also visit my blog 清潔服務公司

famillemarleau said...

Great tutorial. Love the different looks of the leaves. Thanks for sharing, Johanne L.

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful! I love the depth of colour & the UTEE looks great.

Kathie said...

I love it, the colors of the leaves is spot on!

Unknown said...

Top Ten Classified Website List, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and every thing you want...
www.hotcurrentaffairs.com