Monday, October 13, 2014

Love the Kids Canvas

Hey, everyone! It's time for another tutorial using
Finnabair Products from Prima.

This starts with a 6x6 canvas.


I added a bit of red ink spray to my canvas, just so you could see it better, and them coated it with Transparent Soft Matte Gel.


I added a mixture of water and Claret acrylic paint in a mister, then sprayed it sparingly on the canvas.


Next I brushed on Nickel Azo Gold acrylic paint with a touch of water to make it a glaze.


Quickly spray the canvas with water and let the paints drip and run.


I cut 3 strips of Elements Resist Canvas and frayed the edges. Save the threads for later. Add the strips and a piece of trim with the Soft Gel.


I used the Soft Gel to add a piece of ruler ribbon to the right edge of the canvas. Using Sepia archival ink, stamp the flowers from Sunrise Sunset #4 set and Engraver set Words.


The Heavy White Gesso is perfect for adding circles with a small lid. Add some more images with black archival ink and the stamp set Stamps and Adverts.


I used watercolor and India Ink pens to add shadows.


Now it's time for the Opaque Matte Modeling Paste....very cool stuff! I added 4 areas of the Checker Stencil to the canvas. Let it dry.


At this point I decided to add some Perfect Pearls to the trim with a brush and water.


The canvas needed some contrast, so I stamped the Brick stamp with black archival ink in several areas.


I started laying out the other elements, and could see the trim did not show up well enough for me. So, I dabbed White Gesso on it. Better!


Using the 3D Matte Gel, add Vintage Centers, Washers, a Star Brad, Mini and Large Flowers, Typewriter Word-Love, and various other ephemera.


I painted the Mini Number 6 with White Gesso as well as a bit of the Star Brad...going for contrast. Glue the 6 to the Mechanical Center with 3D Gel.


More on contrast here....use Red archival ink to add color to the Sunrise Sunset Wooden Button and tie with a piece of waxed line.


The finishing touches are adding Gesso and Claret paint to the Mini Flower with the Engraver Brad, and a Gear to the center of the Washer,  a few more Mechanicals, and a Plated Label Junkyard Findings are sprinkled around to balance the piece.

Pearl Glass Glitter was added in 3 spots with Soft Gloss Gel for a bit of sparkle. The picture of the Kids is layered onto a piece of black mat board and glued in place. The Brick stamp was perfect for adding around the edge of the canvas with black ink, and I used Sepia ink and the Threading stamp as well. These little stamps are PERFECT for collage and small assemblage works. (I'm just sayin')

Now you can add the canvas threads with Soft Matte Gel. They wanted to curl for me when I pulled them off, and I thought that was a nice design to end with.

I wanted a bit more "red" for contrast, so I added a glaze of the Claret paint all around the canvas. That did it, I think we're done!

 Check out the links below at Mixed Media Place by Finnabair and also know Retro Cafe Art Gallery is now carrying some of these great products in the United States.
Linda
 Products Used:









8 comments:

Maremi's Small Art said...

This is wonderful project Linda ! Adore your mixed media style, superb artsy !

Candy C said...

Linda... This canvas is a true work of art. I love the richness of your colors and shading. All of the layers of torn canvas strips, paints, gesso, India ink, etc. all work together so perfectly. I love Finnabair's stuff! You do SUCH a beautiful job working with her stuff! <3 Candy

Lori said...

This is awesome, I'm totally in love with it!

mamablitger said...

Linda this canvas is fabulous. Love all the layers, the texture, all your stencil- and stamp work. Threads, lace... It has it ALL !!!! Gorgeous and truly a piece of art.
Also love your tutorial. So easy understandable !
Can I ask where you got the lovely pic of the adorable kids ? Is it a private photo or a collage sheet ??
Thanks a lot for sharing your beautiful canvas. Very inspirational.
Hugs from Monica... Spain

Linda DesGroseilliers said...

I have a black and white picture of my 3 brothers, sister and me all lined up with our bicycles on the first day of school. We probably ranged in ages from 3 to 12. It would be perfect for this type of piece. Thank you so much for the inspiration!

Linda M. Cain said...

They are from a company in Australia called Collections. I've had them for many years and treasure them. Julie vanOosten is the owner. XXX

S@ndy Diller said...

Hi Linda

Just love everything about your fabulous canvas. I have been venturing our "a little" into mixed media- you are an inspiration. Thanks.

Marjie Kemper said...

Fantabulous! Love those rich colors and all the texture.