Thursday, March 7, 2019

An Ornate Fairy Box

Hello everybody, and welcome to my blog. It's been a really amazing time here in my Studio with all kinds of new products, and old friends I haven't worked with, combined into a fun project that's really pretty easy to accomplish. No heavy lifting, just simple paint and stamp instructions. 

So let's get started!

This is an oldie but goodie Ornate ATC Fairy Box Kit from


Just a few tips here; I always base-coat my kits. Here I used Heavy White Gesso. They're laser-cut Masonite that come flat. You can paint, stamp, paper, whatever you want, and then glue them together. 

These are just a few of the main stamps I used from Finnabair. LOVE them.


Here are the insides of the box all painted up with PaperArtsy Fresco Chalk Paints and stamped with black archival ink. You have to try these great paints to see how wonderful they are to stamp on...nothing like them. 

The inside stamping is with Dare to Dream and Old Paperwork stamp collections.


Here it is all glued together with a small bit of glue, and the great Antique Label is glued in place with 3D Matte Gel. The Hardware Accents added a bit of "shine" that I like to incorporate into my pieces. You can see several more of them in front of the box. Always a bit of metal.....


This was my favorite color combination on the box. The Dragonfly and Butterfly really stand out on the Haystack yellow paint, but the Lavender and Beach Hut make for beautiful contrast. Your colors are always more vibrant and brighter when painted onto a white background. 

(That's Finnabair peeking out from between the butterflies on her new stamp...gorgeous)


Metallic waxes are perfect for adding or changing the color of so many things. Here on the Antique Brass feet, I used Rich Copper, but you could try any number of colors to enhance the metal.


The precise images created by these stamps are wonderful. I love script of any kind. And of course, ART is the ANSWER, just says it all on the antiqued label.


I hope you've enjoyed the post and the tips. Check out the links below, and as always, feel free to leave a comment or question and I promise to get back to you.

Your Friend in ART,

Linda

Products used:
Retro Cafe Art Gallery - Ornate ATC Fairy Box Kit
Finnabair Stamp Collections - Dare to Dream, Wild and Free, Old Paperwork
Finnabair Mechanicals - Hardware Accents, Antique Labels 
Finnabair - Rich Copper Metallique Wax 
Finnabair/Art Basics - 3D Matte Gel
PaperArtsy Fresco Chalk Paints - Haystack, Smoked Paprika, Lavender, Beach Hut, Inky Pool, Baltic Blue
Ranger - Archival Ink Jet Black
White Acrylic Paint or Heavy White Gesso

The Feet I used here are out of stock but you could use Antique Silver Box Feet or Antique Brass Rose Box Feet and add metallic paint or wax to create any color you like. 

9 comments:

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

Love your vibrant colors! And the feet are the perfect, elegant touch!!! GORGEOUS!!!!

Linda M. Cain said...

Thanks so much Kristin. I love it when it all comes together. 💙

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Beautiful! Love the colors and dragonfly and the feet and really everything about the piece!

Linda M. Cain said...

LOL you are too kind, Linda, but I love it! ❤️

mamablitger said...

Linda ... as always I can only tell you over and over that I LOVE your work. You are such a talented artist !! And I love to read your comments. You sound so excited about the products. And your excitement is such an encouragement. You really makes me feel an urge to create !!! Thank you so much for sharing your skills and excitement !!!
Hugs from Monica
Spain

Linda M. Cain said...

Thanks Monica. I seem to have found my muse again hopefully.❤️

Kim Collister Studio said...

Linda,
finally made it here,just to confirm again how much I love this piece.
Colors, stamping, feet,.. there is something to be said for "Perfection"!
XX
Kim

Linda M. Cain said...

Thanks so much Kim. You know how much I love your gorgeous work. ❤️

mamablitger said...

Yeah .... I love your art .... and especially when you make steampunk !!! So I hope your steampunk muse will be the dominant one... lol
Hugs to you....., M