Monday, September 3, 2018

Be Brave in your ART - Create Moments from your Heart

It's been a while since I've posted a Finnabair Ambassadors post. But here you'll see I'm still very much in love with Rust Pastes, especially since there are 4 new sets to play with!

This is a tag with several elements and layers that I shared along the way on FB and IG. I'll pull it together for you today and show you how it ended up in a frame,



The tag itself has a simple arrangement of simple pieces that are enhanced with paint, inks, embossing powders and metal ephemera. The Quote Chip is from Tim Holtz.


  I started with a Honeycomb stencil and Plaster Paste and a #8 tag.  I spread the paste randomly, but on most of the tag.

Then I added a Heavy White Gesso over it all. The next layers are from the Camouflage and Metal Rust paste sets. I used only a couple colors.

Then I got my hands on the new Texture Fantasy Sets - Anemone & Coral, Northern Lights, Junkyard Treasures, and Old Walls. Now....... I'd drive you crazy with all the colors I used, and I'm not even sure myself, but I must say I am drawn here to the oranges, browns and blues. However a must is the Cream and Lavender.

The edges were colored with Rocky Road Baked Texture Embossing Powders from Seth Apter. I threw in some Ancient Amber and Patina Oxide here and there, too.



 Then I decide I need to lighten certain areas up. I added some white gesso and the lighter colors of the Fantasy colors. Gold Rush, Royal Red and Brass Hardware Metallique paints were dry-brushed onto top layers.


Here is a plain chipboard square that had layers of the pastes added with a palette knife. When dry, I added some metallique paints as highlights.

I used a scrap of corrugated cardboard as a background piece for the chipboard square. Distress and Archival inks were brushed on to add more color and a few spots of acrylic paints were splattered on. I painted the Tin Heart with some Brass Hardware and glued into place.


The tag is layered onto a piece of brass painted chipboard. I used Mechanicals - Wings, Mini Hardware, Tin Hearts, and Mini Knobs. The Chipboard Tiles are used to hold up the Wings and Zipper Pull. It's all put together with Heavy Body Gel.

You can see the subtle touches of the Lavender and Brass here.


The last thing are the little pieces at the top that are layered onto more distressed cardboard. I added more color with Brass Hardware and black paint to get a better contrast.  It was glued to a piece of painted chipboard as well,  and a jute cord was tied into a knot at the top.

It's all glued onto a hoarded piece of scrapbook paper from years ago that I really love and wish I'd bought several more sheets. That's life, right?


This little frame is a discount store find that I removed the glass from and added a few pieces of chipboard to build up. It's cheap and easy to work with.

I take the title from the words on the piece - ART, Be Brave, Moments and a Heart.



I hope you've enjoyed this walk-through of my project. Let me know if you have any  questions or comments.

Your Friend in ART,
Linda

14 comments:

A Pink said...

Incredible , Linda. You've stolen my heart with this one ♥. Your design and execution is faultless. Its an absolute Stunner .

Thanks for sharing and brightening up the world with your creative talent
Hugs
Amanda x

Linda M. Cain said...

Thanks so much Amanda. Your kind words mean a lot. ❤️

Jackie PNeal said...

Absolutely delicious Linda!
How I would so love to see this in person and run my fingers over that texture! oh wait! my order of Northern Lights recently arrived- now I have my own!
You always work those colors so perfectly in and on to a piece and then the way you have assembled this one is absolutely brilliant! That frame is perfect for the gorgeous tag and adornments!
Another project you have totally rocked out my friend!
hugs,Jackie xx

ann barnes said...

Linda, this is such a gorgeous piece of art! The layering and colors are beautiful, and the texture from those rust paste is absolutely incredible. I love how it stands out atop the corrugated cardboard. love this!

Linda M. Cain said...

Thanks so much for the kind words Jackie. Comments from an Art Sister always mean a lot. ❤️❤️❤️

Linda M. Cain said...

Ann, your comment really makes it all worthwhile. Thank you so much for the wonderful words of encouragement. ❤️

Redanne said...

When you see a piece and you just want to reach out and touch it - this is one of those! I can only imagine how wonderful all that fabulous texture must feel like. A gorgeous piece of art! xx

Greg Prosmushkin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda M. Cain said...

Thank you so much, Ann.Your comment really means a lot❤️

Linda M. Cain said...

Thanks so much Greg. I’m glad you enjoyed this.

Sylvie Roussel Gaucherand said...

Magnifique ! Merci à Seth Apter for the suggestion to go on your blog . Now i follow you also and one more again BRAVO ! Sylvie Roussel from Paris

Linda M. Cain said...

So glad to have you here. Welcome. ❤️

mamablitger said...

Linda you always create amazing art. I adore how you put unusual things together. You are such a fabulous source of inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing your gorgeous art.
Hugs from Monica ������
Spain

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Absolutely love this - great pics really show the details and your process!