Monday, January 2, 2017

An Altered Desk Organizer

Yes, it's been a while, but now that the holidays are past us, I'll share a project I worked on through the many days of buying, wrapping, and giving.

This now sits on my desk with my brushes and tools at my fingertips. 

It has copper stain glass foil on the tops and the front. Different light angels make it show up at 2 different colors, but it's really a gorgeous, shiny copper color you see on the tops.


The wooden boxes and base are from a company several years ago that's no longer in business. 

I used the fantastic Iron Orchid Designs Moulds and paper clay to create the pieces that are glued onto the wooden boxes. (a fantastic video on working with the moulds and paper clay are found on Thicketworks.com. Heather is brilliant!)


So after you've glued them onto the boxes, it's time to paint with Heavy Black Gesso from Finnabair/Prima, and then add her luscious Art Alchemy Paints. I used lots of layers of Metalliques and Opal Magics to create this look.


Waxes from Inka Gold-Viva are used in places as well. This is a process of many layers of different colors.

The copper foil was the perfect width for adding to the top of the boxes and it will make it more durable.


I filled in different spots with stamping and Archival Black Ink. 


Load it up with your supplies and it's ready to sit on your desktop for display and functionality. 

Depending on your location, you can find these products at 
Retro Cafe Art Gallery in the USA or
from Finnabair at Mixed Media Place in Ireland.

Thanks for stopping by, and let us know what you think.

Your Friend in ART,

Linda 

11 comments:

misteejay said...

It looks stunning Linda. What a beautiful addition to your desk.
Wishing you a Happy New Year and hope 2017 is good for you.
Toni xx

Heather Tracy said...

Holy Mackerel, Linda! I knew this would be good, but man, you have really got me inspired. I will definitely be creating something along these lines...who DOESN'T need a drop-dead-gorgeous Tool Caddy? Thank you for the unexpected and delightful shout out, darling! xox

Linda O'Connor said...

This is awesome Linda. I love the colors and the 'functionality' of your art.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Absolutely gorgeous functional piece. Has a wonderful,opulent feel. Tracy x

Carol said...

AWESOME - love the colours and textures SCRUMMY xx

mamablitger said...

AMAZING project Linda. You did a fantastic job on these. I love the molds from Prima IOD. And to see how clever you used them had been a lovely inspirational experience. The colors you achieved by layering several colors is fabulous. I just wonder how you added the copper foil to the top edges ? It is looking like you succeeded to get neat crisp edges.
Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous art.
Hugs from Monica........ Spain

Carol Sterenstein said...

Linda, I'm not familiar with copper stain glass foil. What is that?

Carol Sterenstein said...

Most importantly I forgot to mention these boxes are stunning! They look hand carved and the colors are really beautiful.

Linda M. Cain said...

Carol, it's an adhesive-backed foil that comes in a roll like tape. You use it to edge your glass so it's all the same width. xxx

Marjie Kemper said...

Shazam! This is absolutely fabulous, Linda. Pinning to admire another day...

mamablitger said...

Hi Linda
I dont know if you’læ see this .. But I stumbled across this awesome project ! I’m still in love with your work ! It looks fabulous !!!! Sorry but I just had to tell you that I enjoy and admire this each time I see it. FANTASTIC work !
Hugs from Monica ...... Spain