Friday, December 12, 2014

Steampunk Princess Warrior for Finnabair Creative Team

It's my turn again on the 

I have always been drawn to anything Steampunk, so this was a work of love for me.


I start with a plain paper mache mannequin that I painted with Heavy Black Gesso. 


Next I added several colors of Silks acrylic paints to the body, and gold acrylic paint with Treasure Gold pastes to the stand.


The large Steampunk Wings were covered with Platinum Crackle Texture Paste using a sponge square.


I glued strips of trim in a criss-cross design onto the mannequin, then sprayed with different colors of ArtDeco Acrylic Shimmers.


I added large black Ric-Rac and other trims and lace to the bodice. Then more paint and Treasure Gold pastes.


This is a close-up shot of the lace that's been painted with White Gesso as the last layer, and dazzled with Glass Beads and Glass Glitter using Matte Gel.


Now I start to lay out the pieces of metal for the next layer. I painted the Leaves with Silver Mixative Alcohol Ink to brighten it up.


This Large Flower Mechanical has the center removed so I could use it as the collar.


The Label Plate is sanded and polished with a Vintaj Reliefing Block to make the high points shine. Then I painted the accents in with Vintaj Patina Paints.

The Prima Paper Flowers have a dusting of Antique Silver Art Sugar, and the Medium Flower Mechanicals are glazed with Copper Inka Gold. 

I added the Glass Beads with Gloss Gel to the openings in the Leaves and the trim. Copper Inka Gold is rubbed over these as well.


The Vintage Center is glued over 2 brass arrows with more Copper Inka Gold. 


I used a Tassel on the collar and added some large Turquoise Pearls. The various gears and Mechanicals are glued to the wings with 3D Matte Gel. Each wingtip has a black rhinestone. 

The Wings are colored with Distress Inks and a final topcoat of Copper Inka Gold Paste. 

I love how the Purples, Turquoises, Copper and Golds all make this
Steampunk Princess Warrior
come to life.

Thanks for stopping by, leave a question and I'll be glad to get back to you. And don't forget to check out the links below for all the great products I used.

 Always check out the fantastic projects that Finn and the Creative Team post on the blog here.

Linda

Finnabair/Prima Products Used: Heavy Black GessoHeavy White Gesso, Platinum Crackle Paste3D Matte Gel3D Gloss GelGlass Beads-LicoriceGlass Beads-PlumPlatinum Glass Glitter, Art Sugar-Antique Silver, Prima Paper Flowers

Finnabair Mechanicals:  TasselPlated LabelsFlowers LargeFlowers MediumLeaves 1, Vintage Centers, Washers #1.

Other Products at Mixed Media Place: Vintaj Patinas-Verdigris and AmethystDistress Inks-Black Soot and Seedless Preserves, Silks-Teal ZirconKey LimeBoysenberry, Alcohol Ink Mixatives-Silver.

Retro Cafe Art Gallery-Large Steampunk Wings

DecoArt-Shimmer Mist-White and Violet, Media Fluid Acrylics-Interference Gold

Treasure Gold-Rose and Quartz andTreasure Brass, Inka Gold Metallic Rub-Copper, Paper Mache Dress Form, X-Large Black Ric-Rac, Vintaj Reliefing Block, Various Gears and Ephemera, Black Rhinestones, Turquoise Pearls, Lace, Trims, Junkyard Findings.

11 comments:

Meme said...

I absolutely LOVE this! You certainly rocked this Linda! OMG Gorgeous!

mamablitger said...

Linda your Princess Warrior is stunning, fabulous and took my breath away !! Oh gosh.. She is fantastic. What a lot of great details. And crackle on the wings. And so many techniques you used. You are so talented and very skilled. Thanks a lot for sharing her with us.
Can I ask where you got the dressform ?? I have been looking for months, searching all over, stores, E Bay, Etsy etc. Please can you tell me where I can buy pne ????? Please ????
Thanks again for sharing this piece of ART. Love it.
Hugs from Monica..... Spain

Beth Norman said...

Wow, so so beautiful. The shininess makes it look like it was made of metal. You did an outstanding job. Great tutorial too.

Linda M. Cain said...

Thank you so much! I actually got the dress form when I was on vacation in St. Cloud Minnesota at a store called Crafts Direct.

Linda O'Connor said...

Oh Linda...she is simply stunning. I love the theme...Steampunk Warrior. Truly inspired.

Gaby Bee said...

Brilliant! All of the detail that you have added make this one a knock-out!! Thanks for the step-by-step photos!

Gaby xo

Lori said...

Absolutely stunning Linda! I REALLY love this piece!

Marjie Kemper said...

Thud! Picking my chin up off the floor... you've done it again. Absolutely gorgeous!

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Good grief - I'm drooling all over my screen. This is beyond luscious!

Judy Shea said...

Hi Linda.. found you from Marjie's blog. Wow.. I'm speechless. Love the steps and how you got to this gorgeous piece. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

This is beyond stunning!!!! Excellent job.