Thursday, July 11, 2013

Oddities Charms and Earrings

I was cleaning out my "Studio Stash" and ran across a whole sheet of Shrink Plastic that I'd painted with Gesso a long time ago.
 
BONUS....a project already started! 
 
 
 And this is what I came up with............a bit Odd....yes but fun none the less.
 
You can do this with any stamp, so lets see how this comes together.

 
 Here is the sheet of Shrink Plastic already painted with white gesso and left to dry overnight.
 
I don't know why, but if it has time to cure, in the long run it heats up better.
 
So take your stamp and stamp onto the painted side with Black Archival Ink. I use a foam pad underneath and get a crisper image.
 
NOW....if it's a dry climate, it should dry by itself. I have in the past, had to LIGHTLY, VERY LIGHTLY dry with the Heat it tool.  But not very much as it will start to melt the plastic.

 
 You can either put drops of Dylusions Spray Inks on your craft sheet or dip your brush directly into the open bottle.
 
Paint as you like realizing that when shrunk it will become darker and more vibrant. Two coats sometimes works best.

 
 Here is the hand with a large hole punched in it, sitting next to the Heat it Tool.
 
 
 And now it's been shrunk and flattened when it's still hot, with a piece of plastic or a large Fragment, seen here.
 
See the difference in color intensity and the size of the Charm!!!!
 
Cool, eh!

 
 Side-by-side comparison.
 
  
These Eyes are from the same stamp set using 2 different colors for the eye shadowing.
 

 
I added the Charms to earwires and used a Pewter bead charm to add some interest.
 
I think I know someone who will want these to wear just for fun.........and it's probably not my Mother or my Grandmother....(inside joke here!)
 
So give it a whirl and let me know what you come up with!
 
Linda
Products Used:
Tim Holtz-Stamper's Anonymous - Oddities Set
Claudine Hellmuth - White Gesso
Ranger - Heat-it Tool
Ranger - Non-Stick Craft Sheet
Stamp block or Large Fragment
Crop-a-dile
Jewelry Pliers
Silver Ear Wires
Pewter Charms
Small Paint Brush

15 comments:

BethW said...

I really really like this!

Marijane said...

Ooooooohhhh so cool! Your kids and grandkids must LOVE having you for inspiration! I have to find my shrink plastic and give this a try.

Helen said...

I have a love/hate thing with shrink, everyone else makes it look so easy... these are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I love these!! And how interesting that shrink plastic still shrinks with gesso on it.

Netty said...

great results and thank you for the info about the Gesso, hugs Annette x

Kay Wallace said...

What an absolutely fun project...with wearable results! I don't think the are odd at all, rather quite a conversation piece. Love the vivid colors which pop up with the heating/shrinking! Kudos on this one, Linda!

Gerrie Johnnic said...

What a cool, fun project! I gotta try this!

Linda said...

Very cool Linda. I haven't as yet worked with the shrink plastic. Will have to try it.

Lori said...

What a cool idea, it turned out fantastic!!

Julie S said...

I'll have to pull out the gesso and shrink plastic. This looks like fun.

Carol Q said...

they are such fun - I would happily wear them Linda!

Carolyn Dube said...

Awesome earrings! Love how your mind works!

Pearl Maple said...

fun creative project Linda,
will we be seeing you at the summer show this year?
am arriving early this time to deal with jet lag, no fun trying to see and do everything when falling asleep

Seth said...

This is very cool Linda. Love the coloring.

MaRyKaY said...

what a neat looking stamp. those earrings are so cute. that shrink plastic stuff is quite amazing huh