Monday, January 1, 2018

A Small and Colorful Triptych

Happy New Year to everyone! 

I felt like getting colorful the other day.

So I got out a cute little Triptych Shrine and my Impasto Paints to play.

 I'll take you through this project, with tips and links, that appeared in the Stampington's Somerset Studio Gallery Winter/2018 issue Spotlight. 


I laid out the shrine pieces and gave them a basecoat of Clear Gesso, then a random pattern of Impasto Paints. These paints are thick, and bright. When diluted with white paint or water, they still keep their great color.

Tip: I paint on the clear plastic sheet that the Retro Cafe Art Shrine comes in, so when you're finished, it goes in the garbage and you don't have to clean it.


I had carved some stamps earlier this year, and decided to use them around the 3 pieces.


I loaded bright white acrylic paint into my fine-tipped applicator and scribbled it on the 3 sections to break up the color.


The Rusty Gears have been painted with Patina Pastes and glued into the windows. I used a larger gear for the middle and added a Mini Knob.


I added Metallique Paints to different Mechanicals and glued in place with
Heavy Body Gel.


The Mini Steampunk Gear chipboard cut out was painted with the Brass 
Patina Paste and used behind the two end Mechanicals.


It's very easy to put this piece together with the metal jumprings and set on your desk or a shelf.

Just try it!

Your Friend in ART,

Linda

Products Used:
Shelf Shrine Triptych - Small Circle Gothic Arch
Patina Pastes
Metallique Paints - Rich Turquoise, Emerald Green, Green Olive
Mini Steampunk Gears - Chipboard Cut Outs
Clear Gesso
Impasto Paints - Jade, Heather, Green Apple, Crimson and Cobalt
Black Archival Ink
Hand Carved Stamps
Fine Line Applicator with white acrylic paint
Mechanicals - Mini Knobs, Barn Stars, Rusty Gears, Winter Trinkets,
and Vintage Snowflakes
Heavy Body Gel

4 comments:

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

Such a beautiful, colorful, bursting with fun piece! xoxo

Beth Norman said...

So beautiful. I can't take my eyes off of your triptych.

Chrissy said...

Beautiful work, Linda! Love the vibrant color.

Linda M. Cain said...

Thanks ladies!❤️