Friday, June 17, 2016

Time on the Wings of a Butterfly for Finnabair

Sometimes you just step back and say, "yes." THAT'S what I was 
talking about.....and sometimes you don't.

Well, this was one of those time where I knew I was happy
as soon as I started to glue it down.

Yep, it's my turn on the 
and this is my BRIGHT and 
SHINY project.


It's really hard to photograph a project with mica paints, but here I found
laying it on a darker background helped. 
The white background just washed it all out, and you couldn't see
the deep,rich colors of the metallic paints.

I started with a 6x6 inch canvas board.


I added a coat of heavy white gesso with a 
texture brush to create some pattern. 

When dry I stamped a script stamp with embossing ink
and used a fine black powder to emboss.


I made a few embellishments with the new 
Iron Orchid Design molds and paper clay.

So using these as my main elements, I started to lay out my design.



When I had some basic idea, I started gluing with 
Heavy Body Gel and 3D Matte Gel,
 adding different found items and
Mechanicals that I had cut apart.

When dry, give it all a coat of heavy black gesso.
I left the stamped area alone for some open space.

I'm sorry I didn't remember to take a picture at
this point, just use your imagination and envision this a 
flat black blob in the middle of my canvas.


Here you can see where I used Soft Matte Gel to add 
Mini Art Stones as filler around the clock area. Then I started to
paint everything that is black.


 I used every color of 
Opal Magics on this. All 8 colors. 


The medium sized Grungy Butterfly is a rainbow of all the 
fabulous colors in this palette.

The few colors of Metalliques that I used were for the heart
with Rusty Red, Steampunk Copper, and some Gold Rush for highlights. Otherwise it was all done with the Opal Magics.....
which are just magical on black gesso!


I painted the German Dresden black and added Aqua-Rose, Green-Gold 
and Yellow-Blue Opal Magics.

The fabulous purple comes from Violet-Green, and YES,
it truly is that bright! I LOVE it.


You can see the detail on the mesh here with several colors painted
in with a small brush.


The last thing I did was add some dry brushing with 
black gesso to the edges of the canvas and white areas, 
and give spots a spritz of mica powder spray.

Contrast and shine....it's so easy to achieve with these
terrific paints.

Give them a go.  You won't be sorry.

Your Friend in ART, 

Linda

Products Used:
ArtAlchemy Paints-Metalliques - Rusty Red, Steampunk Copper, Gold Rush
Art Extravagance - Mini Art Stones

6 comments:

Debby said...

Just gorgeous! Love how this turned out and thanks for sharing your techniques!

krcmasterpiece said...

I don't always comment-but you always inspire me! You have such a great instinct for colors and contrasts! I love your designs!

Beth Norman said...

Oh my heaven and stars--is this ever one outstanding piece of art. I love how you painted on the project. This totally rocks my world!

candi harris said...

Just gorgeous! & thanks for the tip about photographing against a dark background. I pretty much use only metallic paint - mostly Art Alchemy which are so fabulous - & have a hard time getting that sheen to pop in photographs. Now I know what to try! Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,

I love your creativity and use of colours:-)
I just did a Butterfly girl at my blog.

Have a lovely day :-)

Diana said...

your pieces are beyond exciting and beautiful!! i have bought a lot of the product but have no idea where to start!!!