Friday, January 15, 2016

Altered Treasure Key Box for Finnabair CT

I have fallen in love with altering keys!


It's as simple as that.

And it's my turn on the Finnabair blog today. 

So here I decided to add one to a wooden triangular box that's been sitting in my Studio for years....yes years!


I start with a wooden box to which I applied Clear Gesso to seal. 

Then I get out the pieces of ephemera that I want to alter and add. Sadly I wish I had a dozen more of these flat keys from "I don't have a clue" where. If anybody knows where to get them, please let me know!!!


The large key is colored with Inka Gold waxes. 

The other objects are painted with Heavy Black Gesso first and then Mica Powders+Soft Gel made into a paint.


I mixed Summer Sky and Bottle Green for the large wings. 

A second layer of Gold Opal Magic+Soft Gloss Gel is lightly added to create a shimmer. You see the difference in the other set of wing charms.


The top of the box was painted with several metallic dabbers in layers. 

I used Jet Black Archival Ink to add the Clear Stamps Adverts and Wire Net.


I wanted to create contrast on the lid edge, so after painting it with Black Gesso, I added a layer of Green Opal Magic+Soft Gloss Gel.

The bottom section was stamped first with Sepia Archival Ink + a Wire and Net Cling Stamp, and then Black Archival Ink using the gorgeous Cling Stamp from Old Town. (love this stamp)

I used 2 coats of Clear Gesso on the lower portion and it REALLY made it shine like varnish!


I punched a hole in the Mini Flower to add the Arrow and Key with a cold connection. (Thank you my Uber-Talented friend Jen Crossley for teaching me this. Take her classes if you're lucky enough to get there!!!)

Other pieces are added with E6000 and wrapped with silver Artistic Wire.


Then I added Computer parts, Wire, Watch Parts and other pieces of ephemera. 
I kept adding more Inka Gold waxes to create contrast.

This shows the side stamping with the Green Opal Magic over the Black Gesso. It turns out a rather Teal color.


The Rhinestone trim, Mechanicals-Plated Labels painted with Mica Powder+Gesso, and more watch parts fill in the spots.

Hope you enjoy.

And don't forget to check out Finnabair's Blog every week!


Finnabair Products:
Mechanical - Star Brads, Wings, Flowers-Mini, Roman Numerals, Plated Labels
Clear Stamps - Wire Net, Adverts
Cling Stamps - Net and Wire, Old Town
Art Basics - Heavy Black Gesso, Soft Gloss Gel, Clear Gesso
Art Ingredients - Mica Powders - Bottle Green, Summer Sky, Copper, Gold Opal Magic, Green Opal Magic
Inka Gold Waxes - Copper, Gold, Turquoise

Other Products:
Watch Parts, Antique Rhinestone Trim, Fancy Dragonfly Wings

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my ... this is just FABULOUSLY LOVELY Linda... wow. The colors, the depth, the lusciousness.... SUPREME make. j.

Unknown said...

Fabulous ❤️❤️❤️

Laine Kammeraad said...

Absolutely stunning!! I am in awe of your creativity and art.

With smiles
Laine Kammeraad

suzieq23 said...

Linda if you still want the flat keys I found a set at MIchael's by K&Co. If you still want/need them I will be glad to mail them to you. Just let me know. suzschultz23@aol.com