Friday, July 31, 2015

My Octopus Sea Maiden

Time for another project from 

This lovely lady is made with the 



She's all painted up with Fresco Paints and stamped with the 
Bubbles stamp from Finnabair and an archival ink.

The Silver Micro Beads give a look of tiny bubbles all over her and the large shell.


I added Tiny Brass Circle Decorations to the headdress and Tiny Gold and Silver Shells as a necklace. Her shell bodice also has the Shells mixed in with Pollen Micro Beads and Soft Gloss Gel. 

I used the  Medium Fairy Art Doll Paper Cuts - Angels and Saints for her face.


The base is painted Snow Flake White first and then I sponged on Guacamole and Hey Pesto Fresco Paints.

 It's fairly covered up, but the base is stamped with the middle right stamp in the Dirty Walls collection from Finnabair. 

Then I covered it in a heavy layer of 3D Gloss Gel spread on like frosting. I added  Pearl Glass Glitter by sprinkling it around in spots.  Silver Micro BeadsSplash Micro Beads and Turquoise Glass Beads were added randomly to fill in spots. The 2 different sizes of beads and the Glass Glitter all get patted down gently into the Gel.

Since the Gel is transparent, you can still see spots of green paint through it. It really, really sparkles in real life!!!

Kind of looks like Sea Foam.....maybe?




The Brass Fancy Shell Decoration and Brass Fish are colored with Inka Golds in Copper and Turquoise.  I used a bit of Green Yellow Inka Gold around the edges of the piece with Copper and Yellow Gold on the Conch and Tiny Shells.

I think that about does it, as always, if you have any thoughts or questions, don't hesitate to leave them here. Everything I used is linked so just click on and get started.

Your Friend in ART,

Linda

21 comments:

Helen said...

I just love this!! the Sea Foam is perfect - you're just so clever!

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

The seafoam is my favorite part! PERFECT!!! xoxo

PaperArtsy said...

It looks fabulous Linda but I still don't understand how you got the base done. Did the gel hold such a perfect dome-ish shape when applied? And how do the beads look kinda like 3D coral. Did you pour beads in and depending on how the glue was setting up some sank, some floated??? Did you let stuff set then add more layers of gel? Almost looks like a UTEE creation.
Am I over thinking this???? Lol
Very cool! Xx

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Magical the character you created and she has an almost majestic quality to her as though she is Queen of the Mermaids.
Wishes
Lynne

LaChelle Unger said...

Linda I collect mermaids and this beauty is absolutely stunning! The detail you have poured into her is amazing. I know she is an octopus but I'm sure she would be accepted in the mermaid world as just a gal with a few more tails. :)

LaChelle Unger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LaChelle Unger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

The tease was worth the wait!!!! I love her and the gorgeous details are simply stunning Linda. I have to try this technique. :)

The Hardy Stamper said...

This is just stunning! I love the sea foam.

Barbara Rankin said...

This is gorgeous, Linda. Love those tiny shells, too!

Linda M. Cain said...

I updated the post Leandra I hope this helps. thanks so much!!!

Unknown said...

Linda, Linda! You have really outdone yourself with this one. She is exquisite! I love the micro beads. Outstanding my dear!

Candy C said...

Linda...this is just fabulous! I totally love all of the colors and layers of texture. Those microbeads really add so much, don't they? Your octopus mermaid lady is just so so eye catching! I love all of the little shells and the sparklies that bring her to life! WOW!!

Unknown said...

Ok, I'm back. LOL I have a question. Linda, you probably have all the Finnabair products. I only have the soft matte gel. I do not have the 3D heavy gel that you used for your awesome sea foam. I may have asked you before so please excuse me if I did. I'm always confused about which product is thicker but I'm thinking the 3D has a heavier body and is much thicker than the soft matte gel. Is that right? I wonder if I could achieve the same effect by using what I have. I've used glossy accents before to adhere microbeads on a mermaid and it worked great to hold them well. If I'm missing out on a cool product that I need... let me know. I value your opinion.

Linda M. Cain said...

OK. Here is my opinion, for what it's worth. The 3D gels are heavy, thick, almost like frosting. Gloss lets your shiny stuff sparkle more. You can use matte, but the shine will be diminished. Glossy accents will shine great, but the ability in this case, to get a lot of dimension is lessened. Each product has its pros and cons, great uses and OK uses. If you want to glue very dimensional pieces onto something, soft gel could work, but 3D gel lets the piece "sink" into the gel and grab onto its contours. Soft gloss gel works in tiny places to "fill in" areas with beads, glitter, small objects. I like the matte for adding lace, trims, canvas strips - not shiny stuff that's real heavy. Glossy accents or soft gloss gel are quite similar when adding the tiny silver beads, yes. I always said to students that glues are personal, I'll tell anyone what I like and use, but if something works for you, use it. Hope this helps. Hugs,

Linda M. Cain said...

Watch this space cause I'm using a stencil and 3D Gloss Gel and another product soon on an art journal page! Another use for the 3D!!! Just sayin'.....

Unknown said...

Thanks Linda! I think I need to add the 3D gel to my stash. I'd like my metal charms (hollow on the back) to sink into a good gooey mound of stuff that I know will stay put and not fall off down the road. I want my swapping buddies to enjoy a piece that will not fall apart. Your summary makes perfect sense to me. Sometimes you want some thick frosting and sometimes not. Got it. LOL You rock!

mamablitger said...

Linda your project today is AWESOME !!! I love and adore all your fabulous details. Love all the techniques you explained so well. The foam you added on her is great looking. Gosh I love your work. You are so creative and very skilled. Truly a great source for inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing.
Hugs from Monica... Spain

PaperArtsy said...

Fabulous!!

smokeysmom said...

Like everything else you create, this is fabulous! Really came out great:)

Jackie PN said...

Absolutely fabulous,brilliant,exquisite,astonishing,etc!
Linda, you rock!! And thank you ,thank you for your step out as well as opinions on the glues and gels!! very very helpful and thoughtful!! xoxo