Friday, June 19, 2015

"A Trip Back In Time" Finnabair Phone Frame

Hi everyone, it's my turn on the 
Finnabair blog
 and I'm so excited to show you the newest Altered Frame 

 the Phone.


Those of you who know me will recall that my husband and I worked in the telephone industry for many years, and so this is really a favorite vintage piece for me. 



I started adding color to the frame using wax patinas like Guilders Paste and Inka Golds. The texture of this phone is beyond amazing. There are so many layers of what I can only describe as "corrosion" that the pastes highlight beautifully. I really, really was thrilled with how they looked.



Then I cut out a circle of heavy paper and the center of that to create a frame for my vintage picture. I added a coating of Platinum Texture Crackle and set it aside to dry.  When dry I added some dark brown dye ink in the cracks and wiped with a soft cloth.


The laser-cut chipboard flourishes were painted with Soft Gloss Gel and Mica Powders. I dipped my brush into the Gel, then into the Powder and dabbed it onto the pieces. They create an amazing texture since you keep them kind of lumpy instead of completely mixing them up. I used the Blue and Gold here.

I wanted to add a cord to the phone, so I used some braided rope and painted it with the Copper Texture Crackle. To "age" it I sponged on Sepia and Black archival inks.



For the inside of the frame I added Copper Texture Crackle, then sprinkled Splash Micro Beads, and Copper and Gold Rush Glass Glitter onto it. Set aside to dry. I have no idea why the beads look black...they are blue in the jar, but dried black. 



This is the back, which ended up being my favorite area of texture. I added some of the Blue Mica Powder/Gel mixture to the back of the frame a foam square. When it was dry, I used my "digital applicator" aka finger to lightly add more patinas to the raised areas. The Coral Red really gave it a punch.

The picture on the right shows the Washer that was patina-ed and glued to a piece of Styrofoam inside the handle. The Mini Brad in the center helped keep it in place. The laser-cut pieces of chipboard are added with 3D Matte Gel as is the Mechanical and copper center. I made several and decided late in the process that I liked the smaller ones shown here better than the large one in the above picture.


I cut 10 circles from a metallic copper paper and glued the Numbers to the center with 3D Matte Gel. Then I added them around the circle. The finger stop is cut from metal foil paper. The vintage Girl is glued into place using the circle as a frame. It is added to the inside onto 5 small wooden blocks for height. You can just barely see the inside at this angle with the Glass Glitter and Beads.


More Mechanicals were added onto the painted chipboard flourish. All that's left is gluing in your cord and adding some flowers to the corners. 

I hope you've been inspired to get to work and create a Vintage Phone Frame of you own. I will treasure this creation for a long time.

Always check out the 
Finnabair Blog 
every week for Finnabair's Wednesday Recipes and the wonderful projects by the 
Creative Team.
And there's a GIVEAWAY going on now on 
Finnabair's Facebook Page...check that out, too!

Your Friend in ART,

Linda
Finnabair Products:
Prima - Altered Metal Phone Frame
Art Basics - Soft Gloss Gel
Art Basics - 3D Matte Gel
Art Extravagance - Texture Crackle Pastes - Copper and Platinum
Art Ingredients - Mica Powder - Gold and Blue
Art Ingredients - Micro Beads - Splash
Art Ingredients - Glass Glitter - Copper and Gold Rush
Mechanicals - Typewriter Numbers 
Mechanicals - Washers #1 and Washers #2
Mechanicals - Mini Brads

Other Products:
Retro Cafe Art Gallery - Ornate Flourish Cut-Outs Style 6
Inka Gold - Copper and Gold
Guilders Paste Patinas - Coral Red and Patina
Paper Flowers

7 comments:

Kathy Bradley said...

OMG - could you pretty, pretty please - send me some of your creative flair and talent - just a drop or two??!! Seriously, this is absolutely gorgeous. I love that you added a cord. And, I love the numbers on the dial - well - I just love it all. You said you and your husband worked in the phone industry. My sis, who just passed away in January of this year, worked for AT&T for 40 years. She has only been retired a few years. She would have loved this too. I am going to make one with her photo in it for my two nieces - they will love it. Thanks for your inspiration - as always.

Jackie PN said...

Way too cool Linda!! I can absolutely see why you will treasure this! Because it IS a treasure!! xo

A Pink said...

Your creative is absolutely Incredible Linda n boy can you work those products to create such wonderfully authentic results . WOW - that corrosion - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!
Love every last detail of your Vintage Phone Frame and can totally understand why it will be a very treasured creation .
Thx so much for sharing n inspiring xx

Pamellia said...

Wow Linda, this is incredible!! Your technique is amazing, I just put a bunch of new items on my wish list! What a fantastic project! :)

Kirsten said...

Stunning!

Lori said...

This is FABULOUS Linda! Love all the rusty goodness!

Candy C said...

Linda...how did I miss this? It's totally awesome! I always love your art. This rusty phone is just about the cutest thing I've seen in a long time! Everything you've added to the basic phone frame just "makes" it so special! Love the rusted, crackled effect. Definitely gives it that vintage feeling. The little photograph is adorable and I love the numbers dial! The added splashes of color with the flourishes and the little rose buds finishes it off perfectly. Just adorable! <3 Candy