Monday, January 12, 2015

An Altered Note Box for the Finnabair Blog

It's my turn again on the Finnabair blog for the Creative Team!!!


This time I altered something I can put on my desk to jot down creative ideas that come to me for other projects.


I love the glasses in the front!

  

  I started with a plain paper mache box  that I painted with Heavy Black Gesso. I left the inside section unpainted since I'll add scrapbook papers there.


I chose a heavily pigmented acrylic paint to use with the Modeling Paste. A little goes a LONG way. I used 2 colors and added the mixture to the box with the Bubbles stencil.


Then I started to add more color. I spritzed metallic Shimmer Mists on and also added drops with sprayer removed from the bottle. LOVE the shine here!


I added Ultra Thick Embossing Powder on the Small Clock Face. Then I added some Silks  with a dry brush. I base coated the metal wings with Heavy White Gesso and added silver acrylic paint.


I started adding color to this label pull. Then I decided a Tassel would look great hanging from it, so I used my jewelry 2 hole punch to make a hole for the Tassel.
  

I started to add more color to the background and metal elements. Then the scary part for me.....gluing it all down. I used 3D Matte Gel for the heavy pieces.


For a bit of sparkle and shine, I added a mixture of Platinum Glass Glitter and Zinc Glass Beads in the clock section with Soft Gloss Gel



 The sides and back have Newsprint Canvas strips added with 3D Matte Gel. The metal handles show  the "before" on the bottom, and the "after" on the top with 2 colors of Inka Gold paste added. Makes a BIG difference.


The handle is added to the back spine area with 3D Matte Gel and brads. I did the same with a pair of glasses across the front. I cut apart a Medium Flower and added pieces with copper brads. You can see the Tassel here with some Inka Gold added to it.



I found 2 metal labels for the sides. They were plain silver in color, so I first added 2 coats of Heavy White Gesso with a foam square. Then I added a coat of Clear Texture Crackle and several layers of inks when dry. LOVE the aged metal look it creates!!! 
Put a phrase in the frame and add to the sides.


The bits and pieces get added last...buttons, a propeller colored with alcohol ink, the key with a computer part twisted around it, micro beads in a gear with a light bulb phrase, a Roman Numeral, Numbers, a Vintage Center, and Charcoal Art Sugar to fill in spaces. That color is so gorgeous.


The Pendant under the light bulb and Leaves are colored with Inka Gold as well as several other Mechanicals. Sterling Glass Glitter is sprinkled around the tiny vintage bottle to help support it.


 When the 3D Gel dried under the light bulb it left a really cool pattern. 

That's it for today. Don't forget to check out the links for products, and let me know what you think. As always, questions are welcome!

Linda

 Products Used From Mixed Media Place:

Other Products Used:
DecoArt-Fluid Acrylics and Shimmer Mists
Inka Gold Metallic Rubs
Ultra Thick Embossing Powder
Silks- Spicy Tomato
Micro Beads
Various found objects

14 comments:

Carol said...

WOW STUNNING!!! TFS X

Anonymous said...

Nice!

Createology said...

Love this altered box for your uber creative thoughts. You always create masterpieces!

yoursartfully said...

Fabulous Linda x

Beth Norman said...

You really knocked my socks off with this project. So many elements put so well together. You rock my world!

Lori said...

This is absolutely stunning Linda! Love all those layers!

Connie Fossenier said...

Wow this is one of the most stunning pieces of metal work...lots of detail and attention to intricate pieces.
conni

Win Dinn, Artist said...

Just amazing - I'm SO loving it!

S@ndy Diller said...

love every detail and there are so many to love!!!! Fabulous!

Kathy G. said...

This is such an incredible work of art. Just stunning.

Seth said...

Another amazing piece Linda. Wish I could see this one in person.

Unknown said...

This is "just" fab,what more can I say,oh yes,its beautiful too.

Unknown said...

WOW ... I'm absolutely loving all of your artwork. I have been a huge Finnabair fan and just recently clicked on her design team, which is how I found you. I'm now Your Fan, too :)!

Kay said...

Found your fantastic art box here on Pinterest. Great ideas. Thanks. Kay