Friday, July 25, 2014

My Heritage - The Farm Journal Page


I saw a beautiful Journal cover on the Stampington blog. It was gorgeous!
 
I decided to give the idea a bit of my own twist.
 
 
I tried my hand at this concept on a small journal layout first using black gesso and then white gesso in the middle section.
 
When dry I added various colors of paint. First try with gelatos proved not so good...I wiped it all off.
 
Second shot was watercolor crayons...and 3rd was water soluble oil pastels...they all were too light and watered out for me.
 
Last I tried Claudine Hellmuth's acrylic Studio paints and liked the outcome better, and I added some Fresco translucents over that. It is MUCH brighter than the original artist's, but it's alright.
 
The White Gelly Roll pen whites beautifully on the black gesso...just like a chalkboard.
 
The "Blue" looks almost black in the jar, but is extremely bright on the White gesso, and the Yellow wasn't bright enough for me.  But.......alas, this is somewhat how I remember sunsets on my Grandparents farm in the middle of God-forsaken Nebraska during my childhood.
 
My Mother's people were Homesteaders from Sweden and received a parcel of land from the government for free if they stayed, build a home, and farmed the land. One uncle collected all sorts of prairie barbed wire that I'm reminded of with the white pen markings on the right.
 
Life was very hard in the middle of Nebraska. They saw the Dust Storms and the Depression, crops decimated by hail and insects. But there was the homemade pies, sweet green tea, corn on the cob, and tomatoes with sugar to remember, too.
 
So this isn't a masterpiece by any means, but the stamps look exactly as I remember the farmhouse, the trees and the windmill on Mockingbird Hill.
 
Use my code iecain81 at Inspiration Emporium for 10% off your order using the links below.
 
Linda
Products Used:
Artistic Outpost - The Outpost Stamp Set
Sakura Gelly Roll Glaze Pen - White
Ranger - Archival Ink - Jet Black



7 comments:

Theresa said...

Linda: This is beautiful! Your commentary makes it that much better. Thank you for sharing.

SusanK said...

The pages are just spectacular (no surprise there!) and the story behind the art makes it all so amazing! You keep giving me permission to just play but somehow I never quite get there. Sigh.

Helen said...

what a lovely post, gorgeous pages, obviously - and a wonderful tale behind them too. I love how the colours burst forth against the black gesso, it's fabulous!! I have some I bought a few months ago that I've never used, I must play soon!!!

Astrid Maclean said...

Love this piece Linda, it's very evocative, I can just imagine what it must have been like on that farm, it sounds like something from a book! The white pen work is beautiful and really adds to it all!!

Dee Spillane said...

Love your spread and the meaning it has. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Seth said...

Gorgeous journal spread Linda. Thanks for taking us through the steps you took to create it. I always love to hear about artist process.

Kathy Eddy said...

Not a masterpiece??? You are mistaken Lnda! This is just beautiful!