Friday, November 1, 2013

DOTD Mini Shrine Swap from Retro Cafe Art

It's been quite busy around here lately, but I finally found some inspiration and time to make a couple of things!

 These are for  the Dia De Los Muertos Mini Shrines Swap at Retro Cafe Art Gallery.... commonly called Day of the Dead.
 
 
I have to admit, these were not in my wheelhouse, so to speak, but once you get going with all the fun pieces and colors, you just get sucked in!!!
 
According to Wikipedia, the DOTD, November 1st, is the 2nd day of 3 to celebrate the dead...All Saints Day.
 
Kristin sent me a great link that explains how this holiday is celebrated all over the world in honor of loved ones who've passed on.
 
 
 
 
This little Mini DOTD Skeleton Figure sitting in the Tall Classis Church Shrine and the Seniorita Sugar Skull are decorated with extra-fine Sharpie Markers. The eyes have Red Mini Metal Roses glued on.
 
I used Distress Glitter on the top and Glitter Glue on the tiny Flaming Hearts, with Distress Paints on the rest of the piece. The Rhinestones are added around the edge and pushed into the glitter on the top.
 
The Antique Brass Crown fit perfectly on the larger Skull bead I found on vacation.
 
The background Swirls stamp I used all over this piece was just perfect from Neil Walker at the Artistic Stamper.

 
 This Flame Arch Shrine is painted in the same way and stamped, but the inside is stamped with the Tim Holtz Skull from the Mini Halloween Collection 3.
 
Large paper flowers are layered and sprayed with Perfect Pearl Mist.
 
The Mini Mulberry Flowers inside have a touch of Viva Gold added and placed beside the Ivory Carved Stone Skull Bead. The Flame on top is painted with Fresco Paints, and of course the White  Extra-Fine Sharpie Pen is added for accent.
  
 
After painting a base coat of white on the pieces, I just randomly dabbed the Distress Paints all over the sections on both sides.

 
Then I stamped with the background stamp and Jet Black Archival Ink.
 
It's easiest for me to paint and decorate before I glue it together....that's what makes these projects so fun.
 
 
This shows the various paper flowers, one with a sequin flower in the middle.
  
 
The back has to have your name on it for the person who gets it in the Swap to know who it came from, so I added the Flaming Hearts with glitter glue and a signature.
 
The wooden spools and funky legs were painted and either stamped or decorated with permanent markers to add some height.
 
There's still time to get your DOTD Shrines in for the Swap with the deadline of Nov. 11th, so check out the links and just have some FUN!
 
Linda

13 comments:

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

Linda, your shrines are absolutely incredible! I'm so happy you enjoyed the Dia De Los Muertos theme! You totally rocked it! xoxo

Shelly Hickox said...

You and DOTD are a match made in heaven! Ha! Get it? :)

Truly AMAZING artwork!

Her Art Nest said...

Just fabulous!!!

Her Art Nest said...

Really fabulous!!!

Unknown said...

These are fantastic! DOTD is not really my wheelhouse either, but I cannot resist these adorable little shrines. Thanks for sharing your process. You always inspire me.

Linda M. Cain said...

Thanks Kris!!!

Linda M. Cain said...

Bless your heart Shelly, thanks!

sam21ski said...

You are such a tease with the Retro Cafe stuff, it's amazing but we can't get it readily in the UK!!!

Fabulous makes and love the vibrant colours

Sam xxx

Laura Morrigan said...

I love these, but I can't do the swap as I live too far away to get it there in time. Is there any way I can purchase a ready made one like that? They are so perfect!

Linda M. Cain said...

Sorry. Not at this time. But thanks!

Sandy said...

Wow Linda - I love your DOTD shrine - so much fun and so very colorful. Looks like I have to go shopping!!!
Sandy

Ryn Tanaka said...

Hey Linda, hope you're doing well :) These are so funky! I love them!!!

Unknown said...

Absolutely love these shrines, you rocked this that is for sure. I think I may just give it a go❤️