Friday, February 26, 2016

A Look Into the Universe...a Journal Page

I've been working on Journaling.

This doesn't have much to say....except that to me, it looks like a piece of broken sky where you're peeking out into the black universe with stars.


This is done with a page from Finnabair's Artistic Journal that's 7x9 inches.


 I start with a random layer of Heavy White Gesso, then 3 or 4 colors of Fresco Paint that I move around in a pleasing pattern.

(The problem with being a Midnight Artist is that the blues in my pictures are not quite "true." This really is more turquoise since it is Bora Bora from Freso Paints.)

Then I used the Ripped Fishnet stencil and Clear Crackle Paste in spots.


The Harlequin Stencil with Red and Orange inks are added with a sponge  square.


Then I sanded down the tops of the Crackle paste and made scratches throughout the piece.


The  diamond shapes were highlighted with gel pens


More sanding and then I got out the Heavy Black Gesso and added some interesting marks.

I love the way the inks and paint get into the crackle.


Splatter some white inks onto the piece and spread with a credit card to make highlights and stars. Use a White Sharpie pen for more marks. 

The next thing I did was add some stamping to areas with archival inks using the Pines and Messy Clear Stamps.

And last I added some more paint to clean up certain areas. 

The "page" had been removed from the Journal and I just liked the edges with the black paint, so I trimmed it down, added more black paint to the edges and mounted it on white  - then black mat board.

No, it's not going back into my journal, but probably on an easel on my bookcase.

Hope you're inspired to make a page of your own. Let me know what you think.

Linda 

12 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous background, I love layers to backgrounds they add so much interest . Love it. Tracy x

Jackie PN said...

Absolutely Positively fabulous Linda!! I love your mark making and composition,design,colors...everything!!
Jackie xx

Joëlle said...

Magnifique mais surtout merci de ce partage technique ! Merci et bon week end
Joëlle

Art By Wanda said...

This is beautiful, Linda!!!!!!!

Martha Richardson said...

It is a fabulous journal page Linda & I want to try some of these techniques.

Beth Norman said...

Wow, this piece is stunning. You are so talented.

MakaArt said...

Great job!!

Barbara Rankin said...

This is so gorgeous, Linda! I love all the colors and textures, and your images just pop off the background!

Unknown said...

You are speaking my language!!! Love art journaling and this one is fantastic!!! You gotta love that midnight artist gig, always a surprise in the morning light. Love your work Linda and as always, you rock!!!

Karenliz Henderson said...

Stunning page. The colors are gorgeous and I love the addition of black. Always inspired by your art.

Barbara said...

I'm in love with your page! Love the background and the black and white additions! Super cool! barbara

Seth said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Linda.